This year the South Sound YMCA will be participating in our much anticipated Giving Tree Extravaganza and we invite YOU to help make this a cheerful holiday season for families in our community.
We will erect our giving tree, in all its bright glory, in the lobby at the Briggs YMCA starting November 27th. We will have tags available for members and guests to grab and take home that will guide your shopping towards items that are much needed in our community. Seeing as our facility is closed to everything except the pool, the foot traffic will be much lower this year. In an attempt to combat this, we are working with the Family Support Center, who graciously accepts all our donated gifts and work tirelessly to distribute those gifts out to the community, to set up online giving centers.
Wish lists have been created on Amazon, Walmart and Target web pages. These wish lists are titled YMCA giving tree and you will be able to scroll through these lists, find the gifts that you would like to purchase and donate, and opt to have the package mailed directly to the Family Support Center located downtown Olympia. Those gifts will then be distributed directly to families and community members. You can do all of this from the safety and comfort of your own home and know deep in your heart that you, too, have made a difference for a family this year.
This year, more than any time previously, it is our civic and social duty to spread as much love and joy as we can. We have a fabulous opportunity during this holiday season to truly make a difference. If you find yourself asking, what can I do to make a difference in this world? Keep it local! Help your neighbor; spread kindness in every interaction; give the gift of giving.
3 ways you can spread joy & kindness
If you want to help make a difference in our community today, here are some of the ways you can help spread kindness and joy.
1. Donate gifts:
- Come to the Briggs YMCA and collect a tag to help direct your shopping.
- All donated gifts must be new and unused.
- All in person donations can be dropped off at the Briggs YMCA during our current operating hours.
- In person donations must be returned to the Briggs YMCA no later than December 18th.
- Online donations: Visit these links from Target and Amazon to find our wish lists. You may pick the gift you wish to purchase and have it shipped directly to the Family Support Center at 3545 7th ave SW Olympia 98502.
2. Make a cash donation:
- Never doubt that your donation can make a difference even if it is small. Cash donation can be dropped off at the Briggs YMCA during operating hours. Or mailed to PO Box 4132 Olympia, WA 98501. Online donations can be made here.
3. Be an advocate:
- Spread the word that the YMCA is participating in this Giving Tree extravaganza. We want as many kind hearted folks as possible to know about this event and to allow everyone the opportunity to give back this year. Please feel free to send the links below to everyone in your network!
4. Help deliver gifts:
- We can use a few volunteers to help transport the donated gifts from the Briggs YMCA to the Family Support Center periodically between November 27 and December 18.
Reach out to Clara Robbins if you have specific volunteer interests or ideas to help make this the best Giving Tree extravaganza of all time. Because now, more than ever, we need to support one another in every way that we can.