It’s difficult to believe that racism still exist in our communities.
While this is an uncomfortable truth, it also gives us the opportunity to do more, be better, and affect change. This, of course, starts with education and awareness. Turning a blind eye or being silent is a part of the problem that further perpetuates these issues. To help you take a more active stand against racism and discrimination, we’ve curated a list of helpful anti-racism resources. Take a look below.
RESOURCES TO LEARN HOW TO STAND AGAINST RACISM
LEARN, INVEST, ACT, SUSTAIN
Invest: Personally, invest in local communities of color including people of color run non-profits, business, and grassroots organizations.
Act: Continue your learning journey past the current situation, don’t let this be a one-time instance. Join a local anti-racist community or grassroots organization to continue your learning, respond to instances of injustice in your local community, and stay involved in local politics.
Sustain: Don’t stop the conversation after media stops covering instances of racism – talk to your friends and family about race, even if they are uncomfortable. Encourage open mindedness, transparency and practice Listen First skills in these important discussions.
Here are some useful resources to support your learning:
- Take Harvard’s Implicit Association Test to assess where you are at in your anti-racist journey and begin taking courses around diversity, inclusion, and equity. This can include personal learning (books, movies, podcasts, etc.)
- Learn the terms to improve your knowledge and usage of terms relating to advancing equity.
- Support Black, Indigenous, and POC Owned Businesses
HELPING CHILDREN AT HOME
DOCUMENTARIES AND VIDEOS THAT FOCUS ON ANTI-RACISM
- The Origin of Race in the USA
- Animation Series: Something Happened In Our Town
- Systemic Racism Explained
- Highway of Tears
- Explained – The Racial Wealth Gap
- Ted Talk: How to Recognize Your White Privilege and Use it to Fight Inequality by Peggy McIntosh
- Ted Talk: How to Build an Anti-Racist World by Ibram X. Kendi
Zero Apologies: Droppin' Truths
Featuring Board Trustee, Dr. Sarah Lloyd and President & CEO, Kyle Cronk
Listen to all episodes on Spotify: