HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED BECOMING A LIFEGUARD?
If so, there’s never been a better time to take one of our lifeguard certification classes offered at the YMCA. Becoming a lifeguard can not only open the door to new job opportunities, but it provides essential safety education that’s focused on preventing accidents in and around the water—and that’s good for everyone. YMCA and American Red Cross courses are designed to provide the participants with the knowledge and skills needed to be a lifeguard.
This course provides entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Register for the course here!
DATES AND TIMES:
Friday, May 13th 6:30-8pm
Saturday, May 14th 8:15am-4pm (lunch break from 11:30-12:30pm)
Sunday, May 15th 8:15am-12:15pm
- Registration is required.
- Participants must be 15 years of age to take the class.
- Seven (7) hours of e-learning must be completed prior to the first day of the class.
- Cost is $200 for facility members, $260 for program members.
- Lifeguard certification is valid for 2 years.
By Lesli Baker
You may know that dancing can help elevate your mood—but a promising body of scientific research shows that dance has the power to lift our spirits thanks to hormones that are released in our brains when we rhythmically bop our limbs around. Dancing releases dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin, and endorphins, all neurotransmitters and hormones in your brain that are commonly linked with happiness and well-being. Letting your body flow can also be a therapeutic experience. It can help you release pent up aggression, stress, and even body image issues.
There are so many wonderful and beneficial reasons to dance! And here at the Y, we have so many Group Exercise classes that give us the benefits that dance has to offer!
- RIZZMIC – Rizzmic® uses the most beloved music and dance styles from the last century of American culture to create a high intensity dance fitness experience unlike any other. Seamlessly blending fitness with truly stylized dance, Rizzmic® hits each big craze on the map, from Disco and Hip Hop to Country and Jazz! Instructors use the most popular dance styles in every genre from the 1920’s to now, pulling a massive variety of movement into a fun all-American theme.
- COMMIT – COMMIT Dance Fitness is a dance experience and so much more! Instructors are committed to creating a fun and healthy experience by combining different genres of music and styles of dance while incorporating essential fitness elements. COMMIT is a dynamic, fun-filled HIIT-style (high-intensity interval training) dance workout. Each routine focuses on essential fitness elements created to a variety of popular music, from all over the world, that will inspire everyone to get moving
- NIA – Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that draws from martial arts, dance arts, and healing arts. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting the body, mind, emotions, and spirit. Classes are taken barefoot to soul-stirring music in more than 45 countries. Nia draws from tai chi, Taekwondo, aikido, jazz dance, modern dance and more!
- ZUMBA – Zumba takes the “work” out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you will see why Zumba® Fitness classes are often called exercise in disguise. A total workout, combining all elements of fitness – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance, and flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class.
Pick YOUR version of joy with a class today – and join us to get dancing at the Y!