SEPTEMBER 9-18 IS WELCOMING WEEK AT THE Y!
What is Welcoming Week?
We believe our communities are stronger when everyone feels welcome, and we work together for the common good. Created by YMCA of the USA’s national partner Welcoming America, Welcoming Week, which takes place each year in September, celebrates the growing movement of communities that fully embrace new Americans and their contributions to the social fabric of our country. It’s a chance for neighbors—both immigrants and U.S.-born residents—to get to know one another and celebrate what unites us as a community!
From September 9 – September 18, the South Sound YMCA will be joining Y’s all around the nation in demonstrating inclusivity and accessibility to our community through Welcoming Week.
At our Y, it will consist of a variety of activities, events, and learnings to promote cross-cultural understanding and raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone! Most activities will be woven into the day-to-day happenings at our facilities, ending with a big event on Friday, September 16.
You can expect special additions to all of your regularly scheduled classes, special activities throughout the week for the kids, and presentations of all types from our community resource partners on September 16th! Don’t miss this valuable community celebration!
EVENTS BY LOCATION
Shelton Family YMCA
- Bachata dance lessons – 5-6pm
- Free Community Dance – 6-8pm
- Native American art gallery – 12-5pm
- Volleyball night – 6:30-7:30pm
- Maraca making activity – 4-7pm
- Real Talk: 3-7pm
- Share your story and experience on what it was like being a newcomer to the states. Stories can be told anonymously by submitting a written account of your experience or can be done live in-person in a safe and supportive environment
- Anonymous submissions may be emailed to email@example.com or turned in at the Shelton membership desk
- Research History Project – Mexico’s independence
- Facility Tours available in Mum and Spanish – 3-7pm
- Spanish Family Movie Night in the gymnasium – Encanto – 5:30-7:30pm
- Chip and Chat: 3-7pm
- Meet our personal trainers, swim instructors, and group exercise instructors while trying salsa from Olympia Salsa Company
- View the history research projects put on by our talented teen leaders club – all day
- Multicultural story time – 4-7pm
- Resource Fair – 3-7pm
- Dance Fitness Extravaganza – 11am-1pm
- Touch a Truck (at Mason County Recreation Area, 2100 E Johns Prairie Rd, Shelton, WA 98584) – 9am-12pm
- Sugar Skull (Calavera) Display – all day