AQUATICS ACTIVITIES FOR ALL
Swim lessons, lap swim, water exercise, and more. The Y offers something for all. Browse through our aquatics offerings and pick out something new to try in the pool.
- Swim Lessons are available to non-facility members
- Registration opens two weeks prior to the first day of swim lesson sessions
- If you’re unsure of what class to sign up for, please use our Level Selector
- Priority registration for Family Memberships opens the first week of the registration window
- Financial assistance is available – please stop by the Welcome Center to learn more
- Stay up to date with our current Aquatic Guidelines
$49 FAMILY MEMBERSHIP | $85 YOUTH & PROGRAM MEMBER
YMCA youth swim lessons focus on safety, fun, and technique. We want kids to learn the basics of safety around water, how to enjoy being in and around water, as well as swimming techniques and stroke mechanics. As swimmers progress through the 6 levels of our program, they will build on the foundational skills and continue to gain confidence in the water. To maximize safety, lifeguards are always on the pool deck during lessons.
FALL 2021 SCHEDULE
4 WEEK SWIM LESSONS
MONDAY & WEDNESDAY OR TUESDAY & THURSDAY
- September 7-30 (no lessons September 6th, Labor Day - M/W prorated)
- October 4-28
- November 1-24 (no lessons November 25th, Thanksgiving Day - T/Th prorated)
- November 29-December 23
8 WEEK SWIM LESSONS
SATURDAY AM CLASSES
- September 11-October 30
- November 6-December 18 (7 week session, prorated)
Mason County Members & Guests - Please note that M/W and T/TH swim lessons will now start the week of 9/13. These lessons will also be pro-rated to reflect the loss of two sessions out of eight sessions.
$49 FAMILY MEMBERSHIP | $85 YOUTH & PROGRAM MEMBER
Accompanied by a parent, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision. Register now.
$69 FAMILY MEMBERSHIP | $122 YOUTH & PROGRAM MEMBER
If you prefer to work one-on-one with an instructor or are looking to focus on a specific aspect of swimming, private lessons are an option. One session consists of four 30-minute lessons; these 4-week session dates will run in conjunction with the group swim lesson dates. Semi-private lessons are also available for 2 students to work with the same instructor. This is a great option for siblings! Register Now.
OTHER AQUATICS SERVICES
The Olympia Youth Swim Team (OYST) is all about competitive fun! Swimmers can accomplish the impossible, learn to believe in themselves, and discover they can do more than they ever imagined.
- For intermediate to advanced swimmers.
- All potential new team members are required to try out.
- Must have completed level 6 swim lessons to try out for Novice team.
- There is no registration for tryouts- all swimmers who have passed Level 6 in YMCA swim lessons are able to come try out for Swim Team on August 30th or September 1st.
- Please contact your practice site for details. Noah Young is our Swim Team Head Coach email@example.com or contact Jackie Barratt firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Olympia Youth Swim Team Season runs September 2021–June 2022.
- We are offering 3 teams this season!
- Novice, Junior, and Senior
- Novice tryouts are August 30 or September 1 | 4:00pm-5:00pm
- Junior and Senior tryouts are August 30 or September 1 | 5:30pm-6:30pm
- 1st day is September 8 – Practices are M/W/F until June with occasional meets on Saturdays vs other YMCA’s
- Novice weekly practice times: 4:00pm-5:00pm or 5:30pm-6:30pm ($65/$88 per month)
- Junior weekly practice times: 4:00pm-5:30pm or 5:30pm-7:00pm ($85/$112 per month)
- Senior weekly practice times: 5:00pm-7:00pm ($105/$134 per month)
As of July 5, 2021, reservations are no longer required for lap swim. You can view the lap swim schedule here.
Briggs: No fee, but families must reserve their spot prior to their visit at the Briggs YMCA.
- Facility Members with a Family 1 or 2 Membership have priority reservation status. Only those listed on the Family Membership account are allowed into the Activity Pool for Family Recreational Swim.
- Non-members must reserve their spot and purchase a Family Day Pass to participate in Family Recreational Swim.
Shelton: No fee, and as of July 5, 2021, families DO NOT need a reservation to swim in the new activity pool.
All children 14 years of age and younger must take a swim test each time they visit the YMCA and wish to use the deep end of the pool. YMCA lifeguards will administer the test using the following protocol:
- Child can jump in the deep end (child does NOT need to touch the bottom).
- Child can immediately begin treading water without touching the wall.
- Child can tread water for 30 seconds.
- Without touching the wall – child can swim to the shallow end using Front Crawl with over arm recovery (arm strokes must be out of the water, not under the water), the face must be in the water for some of this swim with rhythmic side breathing.
- Swim continuously to the pool wall at the shallow end.
- Child must exhibit comfortability and safety in the water.
- Child must be competent using the front crawl with face in the water and arm stroke outside of water.
- Lifeguards can demonstrate arm stroke and breathing prior to the test.
- Child can re-take the swim test if they do not pass.
- Passing the swim test once does not automatically mean the child will pass it every time. Swim skills vary depending upon frequency using the water. Child must exhibit swim skills each visit they are wanting to use the deep end of the pool.
- Lifeguards on duty will make their decision for the safety of the child and staff.
Deep Water Exercise - A vigorous deep-water workout, designed to increase your stamina by combining various water exercises and swimming.
Water Exercise - Enjoy the entire length of the pool in this class, to achieve a total body workout. You will learn how to use the resistance of water to increase your cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength.
Please note: At the Briggs Community YMCA, reservations will still be required for Cindy Foley’s M/W/F Water Exercise class. Please make your reservation on our classes and schedules page.
Learn to save a life at the Y! A 4-day course is offered at both the Briggs & Shelton YMCA branches to earn three certifications:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard
- First Aid
- CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers
Briggs Training Contact: Jackie Barratt – Aquatics Coordinator
Shelton Training Contact: Pearl Freckleton - Aquatics Coordinator